Our own Jasmine Vineyards Roasted Squash is a festive & tasty holiday side dish with a fresh, California twist!
2 Acorn Squash, halved
1 cup medium pearled barley
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup Jasmine Vineyards Red and Black grapes, sliced
Fresh thyme and rosemary
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/8 cup crumbled feta
1/8 cup chopped pecans
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Halve, deseed, and oil the squash
2. Place squash face down on a baking sheet and roast for 30 min at 375F or until soft to the touch
3. Cut the grapes in half and place them face down on another baking sheet, roast these in the oven with the squash until the grape skins start to blister, about 20 min
4. While the squash and grapes roast, place the barley, water, and salt to taste (1:2 ratio of barley to water) over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 min or until barley is soft.
5. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. You want about ½ cup of barley for each squash half.
6. Remove squash and grapes from the oven, and set aside to cool.
7. Mix barley with roasted grapes and finely chopped herbs, then fill the squash halves with the mixture.
8. Sprinkle each stuffed squash half with cheese, breadcrumbs, and chopped pecan.
9. Put back in the oven for 5-10 minutes to reheat before serving